Monday, August 15, 2011

Heavy heart and hard decisions

Something has been weighing on my mind for a few weeks now and I just can't shake it. I'm having to make a decision that I don't want to have to make. My husband is in the military (for those that don't know) and is going to be deploying to the Middle East for the month of October. As far as deployments go - it's a cinch...just a month. Nothing to really even notice. It isn't 6 months, it isn't a year. But it is in the middle of training for the Savannah Marathon.


I haven't been training....my 16 week program started 4 weeks ago. And I've run about 16 miles in the 4 weeks. The heat has really been burning me out and making it hard for me to find my motivation. While I was on vacation last week I was deciding whether or not to start a 12 week training program (beginning today). I looked at the schedule and it is possible (as long as the weather cools by 25 degrees in the next 2 days). The problem is the three 20 mile training runs are all scheduled for October.


I'm a stay at home mom of a 5 year old and 2 year old. Thankfully school starts up soon and my 2 year old will be in preschool two days a week. I will have 4 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays to work out and run. I just don't think it is possible to run 20 miles between the time I drop off and pick up the kids. I could squeeze in the actual mileage - 20 miles would be about 3 hours and 20 minutes. But I just don't think the logistics are possible. Not to mention being totally fried after a 20 mile run and having to go straight to the elementary school to get my kindergartener. I don't want to ask my parents to keep the kids on Saturdays for 1/2 of the day (or longer) for 3 weeks, plus the 4 days they are keeping them for the actual trip to Savannah.


I'm going to train for the next week or two like I'm still training for the marathon, but I suspect that very soon I will have to decide to change my registration for Savannah to the half marathon. My heart is broken, but I just do not think it is possible to do it all.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your decision, difficult though it is, has been made. I can't make Savannah, either, for a number of reasons.

    Next year, Mama. Next year, we're all in, ok?

    ReplyDelete